This course consists of two days of public speaking training and coaching on advanced presentation skills. It empowers presenters to raise their delivery to the next level of professional communication. You will learn to create and deliver powerful, persuasive and memorable presentations.
You will harness the latest research and techniques in the science of information visualisation and the psychology of learning, memory and persuasion. You will also master interpersonal communication across all formats including challenging areas such as handling hard questions and moderating panels.
This course consists primarily of practical workshops and simulations. You will have many opportunities to practice new speaking techniques in a positive and encouraging environment. You will receive individual performance coaching with specific learning points.
This course covers the following modules:
- Advanced storytelling
- Advanced body language for public speaking
- Preparing for hard questions
- Group formats and panel discussions
This is an advanced-level course designed for learners in senior roles, aspiring to mastery and innovation. Learning is pitched at a level to help you to synthesise best practice and direct strategic implementation.
This course is recommended for professionals with an existing track record of presentation skills, and who wish to step up their delivery to take on new challenges.
After this course, you will be able to:
- Master universal tools and principles of classical storytelling
- Decode body language science: proven versus unproven techniques
- Apply powerful storytelling techniques to presentations
- Use your body language to enhance your physical presence
- Confidently handle hard questions from a tough audience
- Moderate and participate in panel discussions to a high standard
This module reviews storytelling techniques and classical rhetorical devices that can be used to convert any presentation topic into a TED-style presentation that captivates audiences, maintains attention and sticks in memory.
- What makes stories resonate? What is the source of their power?
- The psychology of immersion in the storyworld
- Story elements: plot, perspective, dialogue, timing, knowledge
- Using suspense to create narrative tension
- Using characters to create emotional immersion
Advanced body language for public speaking
This module covers how to maximise your physical presence using validated behavioural science. It reviews the research and theory around the linkages between body language and effective communication, separating out techniques with only anecdotal evidence from those actually shown to enhance outcomes.
- Breathing and posture
- Movement and gesture
- Engagement and energy
- The neurophysiology of a genuine smile
- They myth of eye contact
- Updated research on Power Posing
- FBI body language truth cues
Preparing for hard questions
Important presentations often provoke hard questions afterwards. This module covers how to predict, prepare for and answer them.
- Three categories of hard question
- Predicting difficult questions
- Drafting a Q&A that works
- Seven hard questions you don’t need to answer
- Advanced techniques for answering hard questions
Group formats and panel discussions
This module covers panel discussions from the perspective of both moderator and panellist: how to frame, guide and moderate a discussion that engages the audience; how to manage problematic panellist behaviour; and how to contribute effectively as a panellist.
- Structured and thorough preparation
- Roles and dynamics
- Avoiding and handling mishaps and problems
- Audience Q&As.