This one-day protocol training course will prepare you to interact confidently and effectively with very senior individuals, including in formal and structured situations. It covers the full range of conventions, rules, customs and expectations that professional communicators must master in order to work professionally with VIPs and in high-level business. You will learn the written and unwritten rules of official protocol and business etiquette, as well as international cultural norms and variations.
This course covers the following modules:
- Principles of protocol and etiquette
- Flawless professional and personal conduct
- Preparing and hosting VIP visits and occasions
- International and local variations
This is an intermediate-level course designed for learners with existing knowledge and several years of experience in communications or PR. Learning is pitched at a level to help you develop strategic approaches and apply sophisticated techniques.
This course is recommended for anyone required to interact with important individuals and concerned to ensure that these interactions pass off as professionally as possible.
After this course you will be able to:
- Understand the universal principles of protocol, etiquette, courtesy and manners
- Display cultural sensitivity across international dynamics
- Navigate and manage interpersonal dynamics in important encounters
- Make a good impression and avoid causing offence or embarrassment in high profile situations
- Display appropriate international business etiquette in many contexts
- Prepare and host VIP visits and formal occasions
- Interact respectfully with people from many cultures, nations and regions
Principles of protocol and etiquette
This module covers the essentials of how to navigate and manage interpersonal dynamics in important encounters.
- Understanding protocol: conventions of official interaction, collective, personal and written
- Understanding etiquette: conventions in social behaviour and expected behaviour patterns
- Courtesy and manners
- Official, diplomatic and royal protocol
- Business, social and cultural considerations
Flawless professional and personal conduct
This module is a practical primer in conventions and behaviours that create a good impression and avoid causing offence in personal and business etiquette.
- Universal expectations for personal behaviour
- Personal etiquette for formal occasions and encounters
- International business etiquette: universal best practice
- Local and regional business and social differences
Preparing and hosting VIP visits and occasions
This module is a how-to guide to preparing, managing and executing the protocol dimension of VIP visits and formal occasions.
- Preparing for official visits
- Protocol at events and summits
- Protocol planning, liaison and logistics
- Practical hosting skills
- Risk assessment and contingency planning
- Troubleshooting: avoiding mistakes and slip-ups
International and local variations
This module covers international and regional differences in protocol and etiquette between different cultures and nations.
- In-depth country and region profiles